Therapeutic Texts and Narratives of Recovery: Recovery Through New Identities
1University of California, Los Angeles 1378 Washington Street, Braintree, MA 02184, USA
*Corresponding Author:Dr. Kristen Lindblom, University of California, Los Angeles 1378 Washington Street, Braintree, MA 02184, USA, Tel: 415-385-6230; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Citation:Kristen Lindblom (2016) Therapeutic Texts and Narratives of Recovery: Recovery Through New Identities. Addict drug sensitize 1:104.
Copyright: © 2016 2016 Kristen Lindblom, et al. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited
Received date:October 06, 2016; Accepted date:October 26, 2016; Published date:November 02, 2016
- Denzin NK (1987) The Recovering Alcoholic. Newbury Park, CA: Sage Publications.
- Denzin NK (1986) The Alcoholic Self. Beverly Hills, CA: Sage Publications.
- Jensen GH (2000) Storytelling in Alcoholics Anonymous: A rhetorical analysis. Carbondale, IL: Southern Illinois University Press.
- Valverde M (1998) Diseases of the Will: Alcohol and the dilemmas of freedom. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- Arminen I (2004) Second stories: The salience of interpersonal communication for mutual help in Alcoholics Anonymous. Journal of Pragmatics 36: 319-347.
- Carbo PA (2008) Reflexive practices as ethics and political position: Analysis in an ethnographic study of heroin use. Qualitative Social Work 7: 466-483.
- Fasulo A (2007) Theories of self in psychotherapeutic narratives. In M. Bamberg, A. Defina & D. Schifflin (Eds.), Selves and Identities in Narrative and Discourse. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
- Mumby DK (1998) Organizing men: Power, discourse, and the social construction of masculinity(s) in the workplace. Communication Theory 8: 164-183.
- Ochs E, Capps L (1997) Narrative authenticity. Journal of Narrative and Life History 71: 83-89.
- Carr ES (2004) Flipping the script: Language ideology and linguistic strategy in a drug treatment program for homeless women. Dissertation Abstracts International, A: The Humanities and Social Sciences. 65 (6).
- Anderson TL, Levy JA (2003) Marginality among older injectors in today's illicit drug culture: assessing the impact of ageing. Addiction 98: 761-770. [crossref]
- Bourgios P, Schonberg J (2009) Righteous Dopefiend. Berkeley & Los Angeles, CA: University of California Press.
- Connell RW (1991) Live fast and die young: The construction of masculinity among young working-class men on the margin of the labour market. Journal of Sociology 27: 141-171.
- Connell RW (1995) Masculinities. Berkeley and Los Angeles, CA: University of California Press.
- Quintero GA, Estrada AL (1998) Cultural models of masculinity and drug use:“machismo”, heroin, and street survival on the U.S.-Mexico border. Contemporary Drug Problems 25: 147.
- Silverstein M (1998) The uses and utility of ideology: A commentary. In BB Schieffelin, KA Woolard, P Kroskrity (Eds.), Language Ideologies: Practice and Theory (pp. 123-145). New York: Oxford University Press.
- Kroskrity PV (2000) Language regimes: Ideologies, politics, and identities. Santa Fe, New Mexico: School of American Research Press.
- Addis ME, Mahalik JR (2003) Men, masculinity, and the contexts of help seeking. Am Psychol 58: 5-14. [crossref]
- Courtenay WH (2000) Constructions of masculinity and their influence on men's well-being: a theory of gender and health. Soc Sci Med 50: 1385-1401. [crossref]
- Kimmel MS (1995) (Ed.) The Politics of Manhood: Profeminist Men Respond to the Mythopoetic Men’s Movement (and the Mythopoetic Leaders Answer). Philadelphia, PA: Temple University Press.
- Moonwomon-Baird B (2000) What do lesbians do in the day time? Recover. Journal of Sociolinguistics 413: 348-378.
- Wofford JP (2003) Radical interpretation of metaphors in groups and organizations. Dissertation Abstracts International, A: The Humanities and Social Sciences 64 (1)
- Zigon J (2009) Morality and personal experience: The moral conceptions of a Muscovite man. Ethos 37: 78-101.
- Burke K (1962) A Grammar of Motives and a Rhetoric of Motives. Cleveland/New York: Meridian.
- McLead J, Balamoutsou S (1996) Representing narrative process in therapy: Qualitative analysis of a single case. Counselling Psychology Quarterly 9: 61-76.
- Sacks H (1995) Second stories. Lectures on Conversation (pp.764-772). Malden, MA: Blackwell Publishing.
- Campbell L, Page R (1993) The therapeutic effects of group process on the behavioral patterns of a drug-addicted group. Journal of Addiction & Offender Counseling 13: 34-45.
- Sacks H (1986) Some considerations of a story told in ordinary conversations. Poetics 15: 127-138.
- Goffman E (1967) Interaction Ritual. New York: Doubleday.
- Goodwin C (2012) The co-operative, transformative organization of human action and knowledge. Journal of Pragmatics.
- Waldegrave C (2012) Developing a ‘just therapy’: Context and the ascription of meaning. In A. Lock and T. Strong (Eds.), Discursive Perspectives in Therapeutic Practice. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press.
- Goffman E (1959) The Presentation of Self in Everyday Life. New York, NY: Anchor.
- Goffman E (1974) Frame Analysis: An essay on the organization of experience. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- Fillmore C (1977) Frame semantics and the nature of language. In S Harnad, H Stecklis, J Lancaster (Eds.). Origin and Evolution of Language and Speech. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 280: 20-32.
- Gumperz JJ (1982) Discourse Strategies. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Brown G, Yule G (1983) Discourse Analysis. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Moerman M (1988) Talking culture: Ethnography and Conversation Analysis. University of Pennsylvania Press.
- Goffman E (1961) Asylums: Essays on the social situation of mental patients and other inmates. Garden City, NY: Anchor Books, Doubleday & Company, Inc. 171-202.
- Jorgensen MW, Phillips LJ (2002) Discourse analysis as theory and method. London: Sage.
- Goodwin C, Heritage J (1990) Conversation analysis. Annual Review of Anthropology 19: 283-307.
- Heritage J (2005) Conversation analysis and institutional talk (pp. 103-147). In KL Fitch, RE Sanders (Eds.). Handbook of language and social interaction.
- Hester S, Eglin P (Eds.) (1997) Culture in Action: Studies in membership categorization analysis. Lanham, MD: University Press of America.
- Schegloff EA (2007) Sequence organization in interaction: A primer in conversation analysis. Vol. 1. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Shewan D, Dalgarno P (2005) Evidence for controlled heroin use? Low levels of negative health and social outcomes among non-treatment heroin users in Glasgow (Scotland). British Journal of Health Psychology 10: 33-48.
- Gergen KJ, Kaye J (1992) Beyond narrative in the negotiation of therapeutic meaning (Chap. 11 pp. 166-185). In S. McNamee & K.J. Gergen (Eds.). Therapy as Social Construction. London, England: Sage Publications.
- Heritage J (2011) Territories of knowledge, territories of experience: empathetic moments in interaction. In T Stivers, L Mondada, J Steensig (Eds.) The morality of knowledge in conversation. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press 159-161.
- Bakhtin M (1934) Discourse in the novel. In Hale DJ. The novel: An anthology of criticism and theory, 1900-2000 (pp.481-510). Oxford: Blackwell.
- Bly R (1990) Iron John: A book about men. Boston, MA: Addison-Wesley.
- Du Bois JW (2007) The stance triangle. In R. Englebretson (Ed.). Stancetaking in discourse:
- Subjectivity, evaluation, interaction. Amsterdam: John Benjamins Publishing Company.
- Du Bois JW, Karkkainen E (2012) Taking a stance on emotion: Affect, sequence, and intersubjectivity in dialogic interaction. Text & Talk 32 (4): 433-451.
- Goffman E (1981) Forms of Talk. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press.
- Goodwin C (forthcoming) Laminated action and knowledge: Combining varied resources to build both co-operative action and diverse, situated knowledge. To appear in a special issue of A. Deppermann (Ed.), Journal of Pragmatics.
- Goodwin C (2002) Time in action. Current Anthropology 43: S19-S35.
- Goodwin MH (1990) Tactical uses of stories: Participation frameworks within girls’ and boys’ disputes. Discourse Processes 13: 33-71.
- Harris AHS, Thoresen CE, Lopez SJ (2007) Integrating positive psychology into counseling: Why and (when appropriate) how. Journal of Counseling and Development 85: 3-13.
- Jung CG (1959) The Archetypes and the Collective Unconscious. New York, NY: Bollingen Foundation.
- Labov W (1972) The transformation of experience in narrative syntax. In Language in the Inner City: Studies in the Black English Vernacular. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press.
- Schutz A, Luckmann T (1973) The structures of the life world. Vol. 1. Illinois: Northwestern University Press.
- Volosinov VN (1973) Marxism and the philosophy of language. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- Weber S (1997) Four Pillars of a Man’s Heart: Bringing strength into balance. Colorado Springs, CO: Multnoman Books.
- Whitehead SM (2002) Men and masculinities. Malden, MA: Blackwell.